The ESC is the policy committee for technical standards development at ECIA including industry domestic, international, and joint association standards and conformity assessment with a primary focus on passive electronic components and related technologies (e.g., capacitors, resistors, inductors, connectors, racks & panels, tape & reeled product, soldering technology, dependability, electronic display devices and printed electronics).
The ESC oversees the internal processes for developing industry standards, the operation of the committees, interaction with outside organizations, the strategic direction of the programs, and the logistics for the meetings. The ESC approves new additions/modifications to the operating procedures to maintain an efficient and effective formal standards development process accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). In addition to about a dozen standards development committees, ESC also is responsible for a dozen US Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) representing the US industry in international technical committees of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) based out of Geneva, Switzerland.
- Initiated 18 new standards projects
- Published 46 updated or new American National Standards
- Circulated 767 documents to the standards committees and technical groups for review, comment, or vote
- Adopt IEC international standards as American National Standards carrying the EIA Standard brand
- Increase awareness of the EIA Standards Committee (ESC) programs and expand participation in the committees with emphasis on obtaining additional users to maintain a balanced representation
- Transition to upgraded platform of the electronic workspace used by the standards developing committees and the US Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) to the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) that are administered by ECIA
Participating Member Companies
IBM Global Procurement
KEMET Electronics Corp.
KOA Speer Electronics, Inc.
Murata Electronics, N.A.
Stackpole Electronics, Inc.
TDK Corporation of America
The EIA Standards Committee (ESC) is actively seeking input from producers, users and general interest individuals in the electronics and electrical industry. Participation in the ECIA standards programs is open to all individuals who are directly and materially affected by matters addressed by the work.